Managing a parent’s Social Security benefits is complicated

| Sep 15, 2021 | Social Security Benefits

A scenario we often encounter involves an adult child desperate to find out how to help a parent with Social Security management. In many cases, these adult kids believe they have done everything correctly. For example, they have gotten a financial power of attorney to help the parent with money matters.

Imagine how upset these families are to learn that the Social Security Administration (SSA) does not recognize a power of attorney. Instead, families must jump through a few hoops before an adult child can manage a parent’s Social Security payments.

What steps must you take?

The SSA recognizes that some disabled people are not capable of managing their benefits. As such, a person with senior or ill family members receiving Social Security can apply to become a representative payee.

Applying to become a representative payee does require some effort on your part. Some of those steps include:

  1. Call the SSA. You must make an appointment in advance to apply as a representative payee. You can do this by calling the SSA.
  2. Attend a face-to-face interview. The SSA will interview you before assigning you as a representative payee on behalf of your parent. In most cases, these interviews are routine, but many prefer to consult with a legal advocate beforehand. Make sure you bring proof of your identity to your meeting.
  3. Expect this in your interview. Social Security personnel will explain your responsibilities and make sure you understand them as a potential representative payee. They will also explain how to keep records of your financial transactions on behalf of your parent.

We have simplified the above information above for ease of comprehension. To ensure success, it is in your and your parent’s best interests to learn more about Social Security in Mississippi and all other regions of the U.S.